cup o’ jo…y
1 packet of hot chocolate mix + 1 peppermint teabag = mint chocolate bliss
lots of Good Things
- just came back from a brief visit with dear friends in Detroit. they are getting married soooo soon!
- i have chocolate Silk in the fridge
- i got a bunch of free green tomatoes from someone on my friend’s block
- i have season premieres of good shows on the dvr waiting for me
- i have an amazing new candle that smells like actual apple cider & makes fire noise
- made it home safely to my snugglefaces!
- Went to the fitness center. Shooting to go at least 15 times this month.
- Was semi-productive workwise.
- Started taking baby steps towards actually using the recording equipment I invested in a long time ago. Can’t wait for someone else to help me with it anymore, lest it gather another inch of dust. It is scary and frustrating but hopefully it’ll pay off in the long run.
- Made a dent in the muchi curry that’s been sitting unused on my spice rack. I really want to get rid of it and use the jar for some other spice that I actually use.
- Made up a song and a video concept for it that makes me laugh a lot.
Don’t make me light my butt!
Good things for the past couple days:
- Hung out with my friend Kevin today, whom I hadn’t seen in a couple weeks. We watched The Princess and the Frog. (see post title!)
- Registered to try out a park district gym for September. While I dread it, it is a good thing…I guess. I really could use some help in the motivation/accountability department, ha.
- Our still unnamed new fishy survived a cat terrorist attack today when Ozzie somehow knocked his bowl down and it shattered. I thought the cats had eaten him since I didn’t see him in the wreckage the cats were really interested in, but he was lying still (looking dead) and ignored 2 feet away. Now he lives in a 2 quart mason jar fortress with a screen lid.
- My kitchen floor is the cleanest it’s been since we moved in last year.
What are your good things?
Thee Fish Bowl
Ha, already slacking!
Been busy with relatives who were in town but now they’ve gone home to a slightly damp (thanks to Irene) Boston.
Good things from the past few days:
- Spent time with family.
- Learned a little bit about my exciting geneology.
- Free stuff from the conference my aunt was in town for.
- Watched some hilarious hamsters (they didn’t even look real, they were so funny) at a pet store today, where I got a
- Beautiful new betta fishy. Not sure what we’ll name him. Oh the possibilities.
One Good Thing
So, clearly, Create 365 2011 was a swing and a miss. Same goes for Project 365 2011.
I lost momentum on blogging the projects when Spring started to show up. I think Create 365 was more demanding than I was prepared for and then, of course, my camera stopped working in March so I was without one for a month —after I promised myself I wouldn’t let camera malfunctions stop me!
But as the confusing and wonderful Chicago summer gives way to crisp and comfy fall, I think it’ll be easier to nurture my creative impulses rather than ignore them to laze around at the beach (or let’s be honest, stay in and watch cat videos). Man I love Midwestern seasons. I really love each one, even though sometimes they’re really hard to get through.
I also want to start focusing more on the good things than the bad. It’s so much easier to look back on a day and dwell on the 1 or 2 bad things that happened than it is to remember the hundreds of little good things. Apparently this is a primitive human instinct - for basic survival you have to remember bad experiences. But we’re not living in a hunter-gatherer, nomadic everyone-for-herself world anymore, so the negative experiences we remember are stupid things like traffic and the Emergency Alert System interrupting the rerun of a show you’re mildly interested in.
I’ve noticed a lot of negativity in myself lately and I need to be better at remember the good in life and letting the bad go.
So I’m going to try daily (or as close to daily as possible) to post at least one good thing that happened to me today and be grateful for it. I’m constantly relearning that life is too short to waste it holding on to anger and resentment. I will always be a proponent of feeling your feelings, but I need to be better at letting them go when they’ve expired.
Here are some good things that happened today:
1. My aunt and cousin (who I don’t see very often) got into town safely and I got to have a lovely dinner with my aunt, mom, sister, and boyfriend.
2. While en route to the airport to pick up our relatives, my mom and I were in a minor parking lot car accident where no one was hurt, everyone had insurance, the guy who hit us was polite and respectful, and we still made it to the airport in time to pick up Auntie and cousin.
3. A CTA miracle - I was running late to meet my mom to go to the airport and when I got to the corner, a bus was just pulling up for me to hop on. I ran off as soon as it got to the L station, up the escalator, and onto the train. As soon as I sat down, the doors closed. That never happens! A CTA miracle!
For these things and for my life, I am grateful.